01. What is UGC-approved List of Journals?
The UGC-approved List of Journals contains journals identified by the Standing Committee on Notification of Journals. Articles published in UGC-approved List of Journals would be considered for the purpose of Career Advancement Scheme (CAS) and Direct Recruitment of Teachers and other academic staff as required under the UGC (Minimum Qualifications for Appointment of Teachers and other Academic Staff in Universities and Colleges) Regulation, 2016. The UGC-approved List of Journals include titles that have crossed a prescribed threshold on quality check criteria developed by the Members of the Standing Committee on Notification of Journals.
02. What are the criteria for including a journal in UGC-approved List of Journals?
All journal titles included in the UGC-approved List of Journals were subjected to quality check criteria developed by the Members of the Standing Committee on Notification of Journals. See Methodology to see detailed information on checklist criteria used for evaluation of journals.
03. How is UGC-approved List of Journals Classified / Categorized?
The UGC-approved List of Journals are classified under four broad subject categories, namely i) Science; ii) Social Science; iii) Arts and Humanities; and iv) Multidisciplinary. These broad subject categories are further divided into more than 300 sub-categories. All journals are assigned one or more sub-categories using “All Science Journal Classification” (ASJC)”codes, which is created and maintained by SCOPUS (Elsevier Science). Journals titles may belong to more than one field, so the sum of an entity’s output across all fields may add up to more than 100 percent.
04. How can I browse the UGC-approved List of Journals for a given subject?
Home page of the UGC-approved List of Journals hosts a search box and browsing interface by subject. One can browse UGC-approved list of journals by broad subject category, i.e. i) Science; ii) Social Science iii) Arts and Humanities and iv) Multi-Disciplinary; or by sub-categories (more than 300). Clicking at the sub-categories, would display list of journals available in that particular subject category. You can also browse UGC-approved List of Journals alphabetically using horizontal navigation bar at the bottom of Home Page.
05. Why I can not find the subject area that I am looking for?
It is possible that no journal in your subject area could find a place in the UGC-approved List of Journals. Alternatively, it may be possible that the specific subject category you are looking for is not represented in the “All Science Journal Classification (ASJC)” codes that we used for subject classification. Try using a related search term instead.
06. Why are journals that were recommended by our university for inclusion in the UGC-approved List of Journals not included in the list?
Journal titles recommended for inclusion either by the UGC Committee(s) or by the Universities were included in the UGC-approved List of Journals only when they fulfilled the criteria given under Methodology. Journal titles recommended by the universities whose essential details, such as ISSN and publisher, could not be verified,have not been included in UGC-approved List of Journals.
07. What is predatory / questionable Journals?
The term “predatory journal” or “predatory publisher” describes unscrupulous open access journals or publishers who publish articles on payment but with little or no real peer review. Predatory open access publishers exploit business model of open-access publishing that involves charging publication fees from authors without following the editorial and publishing policies and services associated with legitimate journals.
08. I can still find a number of predatory / questionable journals in the approved list. How do I report these journals?
Care was taken to exclude predatory / questionable journals identified from various sources. However, if you believe that you have found a predatory / questionable journal from the UGC-approved List of Journals please report it to UGC as per the guidelines available at http://www.ugc.ac.in/journallist/predatory.pdf
09. How to identify “predatory” publishers and predatory journals?
Some or all of the following features can be used to identify predatory journals:
10. What has ceased journals?
Ceased journal titles refer to journal titled that have ceased / stopped publishing or are being now published with changed name, or have been split with different names, etc.
11. Will I get credit for all my research papers or only for papers that are published in journals in my subject as per the UGC-approved List of Journals?
The UGC-approved List of Journals is one consolidated list that can be browsed by various subjects. However, faculty and researchers should be given due credits for all their publications irrespective of subject-wise categorization of a journal in the UGC-approved list of journal.
12. The journal claims to be included in the UGC-Approved journal list, but I am not able to locate the same on UGC portal. What is the status of the journal?
If the publisher claims that the journal is listed in the UGC-Approved list of journals, please search for the journals using ISSN/e-ISSN number or a portion of the title to check. If you are not able to locate it, it may have been removed from the UGC-Approved list of journals. Please refer to the notification on Revised UGC-Approved List of Journals at https://www.ugc.ac.in/journallist/Revised_UGC_PhaseII.pdf.
13. Our ISSN number is correct but name of journal is wrong, kindly correct/ update the name of journal as per the given ISSN number.
The committee has scrutinized journals based on name of journals not based on ISSN number. While submitting the journal, university may have given wrong ISSN number to a given journal. In case of wrong ISSN number, ISSN number would be corrected and not vice versa.
14. We have requested to update the journal information on UGC portal but now it has been removed from UGC approved list of journals.
UGC-approved list of journals is dynamic. The journal may have been removed from the list of approved journals if the committee found it poor and questionable journal. Please refer to the notification about the revised UGC-Approved List of Journals at https://www.ugc.ac.in/journallist/Revised_UGC_PhaseII.pdf.
15. The journal I am looking for was present in the previous list of UGC journals. Now the title is disappeared from the list. Please let me know about the API of the above said journals.
As per the API guidelines, the “the assessment score shall be finalized by the screening cum evaluation committee for the promotion of Assistant Professor to higher grades and Selection Committee for the promotion of Assistant Professor to Associate Professor and Associate Professor to Professor and for direct recruitment of Associate Professor and Professor.” As such it is the prerogative of the University to provide the final score.
16. I have published a paper in a journal which was available in UGC list but as per the recent update that journal has been removed from the list. Kindly help me deal with the problem.
UGC-approved list of journals is dynamic. The journals are removed from the list of approved journals if they are found to be of questionable quality. Please refer to the notification regarding the same on the UGC-Approved journal list website at https://www.ugc.ac.in/journallist/Revised_UGC_PhaseII.pdf.
17. We modified our Journal Policies and we are following the rules strictly in publishing the research papers. Kindly include / reconsider our journal.
Only universities are authorized to recommend inclusion of journal in UGC-approved list of journals, not individual or publisher.
18. Our Journal having all details as per UGC journals checklist and also having score 6 points out of 8. Why it has been removed from the UGC journal list?
In addition to the check-list criteria developed by the UGC’s Standing Committee, poor quality and questionable journals have been removed from the list. Please refer to the notification regarding the same on the UGC-Approved journal list website at https://www.ugc.ac.in/journallist/Revised_UGC_PhaseII.pdf.
@ 2016 Journal Association of India-Developed By Edwin Soft